Recently I encountered a question asking “How do you define Youth Leadership ?” on Quora and I found it a pretty good opportunity to reflect back on my experiences of youth leadership during my time in AIESEC. Here are my views on the topic. You can read the full answer on Quora.
Leadership is a broad term which encompasses many values like:
- Taking responsibility
- Being Passionate
- Driving change
- Standing out in the crowd
- Inspiring people around you
- Building a team
- Reaching goals
- Creating more leaders
- Being a role model
- And many more …
Leadership is not dependent of age a prep school kid can also be a leader by taking responsibility sincerely given to them by their teacher, parents, by helping their friends become better.
A leader can also be a 100 year old individual who can share their experience with individuals and inspire them to live a better life.
A youth leader however is crucial to the ecosystem of leadership in this world as they not only have the wisdom after a few years of knowledge and facing life but they also have the exuberance to perform, the energy which they can induce in others through their acts. A youth leader has crossed the nascent stage of learning passionately and acting swiftly and is also at the stage where they can talk and justify their acts through the wisdom they have earned in the years.
Usually we would classify a youth leader as someone between the age of 17-30. An individual who is passionate about something and is leading either a team or just themselves towards achieving that goal. They are individuals who can communicate their passion through their acts and inspire others to join it as well.
There are lot of organizations focusing on evangelizing youth leadership all over the world. [Youth leadership]
The best ones among them which have centers in Pakistan as well are:
- AIESEC – AIESEC Pakistan, this is the country chapter of AIESEC, world’s largest youth run organization which has the vision of Peace and the Fulfilment of Humankind’s Potential.
- Rotary International – Another world famous youth leadership organization. The object of Rotary is to encourage & foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise. Rotary Club of Karachi
- Toastmasters International – A nonprofit educational organization that operates clubs worldwide for the purpose of helping members improve theircommunication, public speaking and leadership skills. Toastmasters International in Pakistan